Dental cleaning is where you can sit back and have your teeth cleaned and polished professionally by a dentist. An annual cleaning ensures good oral hygiene and keeps your teeth healthy. If you want to make your dental cleaning last longer, you need to take care of your teeth regularly and have healthy lifestyle practices put in place.
Benefits of a professional dental cleaning
Professional teeth cleaning by a dentist is essential as it can ensure your teeth are clean and healthy plus, there are other benefits:
- It helps to remove stains and discoloration, keeping your teeth white and bright.
- It is the best way to prevent gum disease.
- A dental cleaning can help detect tooth problems that include broken fillings and even severe health issues like oral cancer.
- Getting your teeth cleaned regularly prevents gum disease, which in turn has a positive impact on heart health since there is a strong link between cardiovascular disease and gum disease.
- It helps strengthen and protect your teeth.
Five tips on how to make your dental cleaning last longer
1) Cut down on soda and sugar
Soda can abrade the enamel of your teeth, resulting in cavities. Sugar makes it easy for bacteria to grow and can lead to the plaque being formed. So cut down soda and sugar for teeth health.
2) Get the right oral hygiene equipment
You need the proper oral hygiene equipment that includes a good brush with soft bristles and floss. You also need oral hygiene products recommended by your dentist, like mouthwash and toothpaste.
3) Use the proper brushing technique
Brush and floss your teeth 30-60 minutes after the meal. Flossing first, followed by brushing, can get you the best results. Move your brush in a circular fashion, and don’t press hard on the teeth.
4) Eat detergent foods good for the teeth
Detergent foods are those that are good for the teeth. They are firm and crisp and help clean your teeth naturally. Eat them at the end of the meal. Examples are – carrots, apples, celery sticks, cucumbers, lettuce, and cheese.
5) Stay on top of dental appointments and routine dental cleanings
Never miss a dental appointment. Ensure you get your teeth cleaned once a year or as per the schedule given to you by your dentist.
What to expect during a routine cleaning
- A teeth cleaning session takes anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. You will first relax in the waiting room, where you interact with the friendly staff. You will then be made comfortable before you get on to the dental chair.
- The dentist will first check your teeth and let you know if there are any problems.
- A scaler is then used to remove plaque or tartar from the teeth. This is done gently, so you don’t feel pain.
- An electric brush is used to help polish your teeth, so it remains bright, clean, and smooth.
- The dentist will then ask you to rinse your teeth to get rid of any polish in the mouth.
Taking good care of your oral hygiene throughout the year can help ensure your teeth and gums are in good condition. Contact Torbram Dental to schedule your next dental cleaning today!