How do you feel when you receive a smile from someone? Probably good, right? The truth is that smiling has an effect on how we feel about ourselves, as well as how others perceive us. It can significantly improve our health over time. In fact, according to the Mayo Clinic, smiling may even help prevent heart disease, boost mental health, and lower stress levels. It’s no wonder that people who visit the dentist regularly are happier and more confident! Here’s more information on how a great smile can improve your overall health.
The Importance of Smiling
A great smile can have a profound effect on your mental health and overall health. Patients who are more at ease with their smile will likely be happier about coming in for appointments, less likely to reschedule, and show higher levels of compliance with dental hygiene habits. For those looking for a smile enhancement, let’s take a look at the importance of smiling.
- The act of smiling, or seeing someone with a great smile, has been shown to reduce stress levels, increase patience and improve interpersonal skills. It also improves your mood! When you’re happy and relaxed, keeping healthy habits like brushing and flossing that protect teeth and gums from oral disease is easier.
- Did you know that smiling boosts the immune system and releases endorphins, which are natural painkillers? Grinning encourages dental hygiene habits, such as brushing, teeth cleaning, and flossing. Plus, veneers can help improve your teeth and smile quickly. Now you know a great smile can make you feel better mentally and physically!
- Smiling has been shown to reduce blood pressure and boost your mood. Plus, smiling can give you confidence when going out in public. Whether you have good dental hygiene or are looking for something more cosmetic, it’s essential to maintain a beautiful smile!
- It has been said and a known fact that smiling is the most powerful form of self-expression. All it takes is a little smile to get everyone around you smiling too!
- In a professional setting, smiling is an essential part of how you present yourself to others. Nobody feels secure doing business with someone who doesn’t smile – everyone deserves a little joy now and then!
- There is an interesting correlation between smiling and having a more positive attitude. Positive thoughts can trigger hormones like serotonin, endorphins, and dopamine.
How to Improve your Smile
- Teeth Whitening Kits – Opalescence tooth whitening kits are made to whiten teeth in a non-invasive way. The Opalescence kit comes with everything you need to whiten your teeth, including trays and whitening gel.
- Before using the kit, it is recommended to first brush your teeth and floss them to remove any food particles or bacteria.
- Dispense a small drop of whitening product into each tooth space on whitening trays. Avoid getting gel on the gums; if this occurs, please use a cotton swab to wipe away excess product to minimize irritation of the gums.
- Opalescence tooth whitening systems are to be worn overnight for best results. However, suppose you are not comfortable wearing them overnight. In that case, opalescence tooth whitening systems could also be worn for 2-4 hours twice a day.
- Dental Bonding: An effective procedure to improve your smile by correcting imperfections such as chips, cracks, gaps, or discolouration. A dentist will use dental bonding to cover the surfaces of teeth with a composite resin material. Dental bonding does not weaken teeth because it’s put on the outside, whereas fillings must be drilled into them.
- Dental Check-ups – Maintaining proper oral hygiene is essential because it can prevent more severe oral health conditions. Visiting your dentist regularly and undergoing procedures like veneers or brushing and flossing your teeth are simple ways to improve your smile’s appearance.
- Cosmetic Dentistry – Cosmetic dentistry is an effective way to re-freshen a smile that has lost its sheen and shape over the years. It can also help fix any injury that has occurred to restore a smile to its original beauty. Cosmetic dentistry uses state-of-the-art medical science to help restructure and contour your teeth while enhancing your smile.
Let’s Celebrate World Smile Day
World Smile Day is celebrated on October 1st, and it is time to get the smile of your dreams. After all, the oral health habits you develop now will have an impact on your smile for the rest of your life. You can celebrate this day in all kinds of fun ways, such as:
- Performing a random act of kindness
- Use a smile emoji on every text you send
- See a stand-up comedy show
- Watch a funny movie
- Tell someone a funny joke
- Make a “Happy Songs” playlist & share it with friends
Now that you’re well-informed about the power of a smile & its relation to dental hygiene & your overall health – it is time to go out & celebrate it! Contact Ashraf Dentistry and book an appointment today!