Your kid is up to date on their immunizations. They have all the coolest new clothes. Their school supplies are all ready to go. But one thing is missing: making sure their oral health is in tip-top shape! Make sure to add the following 3 dental care tips to your little one’s back-to-school checklist.
1. Make Brushing and Flossing Fun
To make sure your child’s smile stays happy and healthy, they need to brush at least twice a day for two minutes each. They also should floss once a day, ideally after dinner or before bed. Try the following tips to make dental hygiene more fun and exciting:
- Select a fun two-minute song that they can listen to as they brush.
- Let your child pick out a toothbrush in their favorite color, and possibly with their favorite cartoon character on it.
- Create a calendar where your kid can place a sticker every day that they remember to brush and floss. Give them a prize at the end of every week or month that they fill with stickers.
- Use a kid-friendly floss pick instead of traditional floss. These make it easier for little hands to reach between their back teeth.
2. Pack a Mouth-Healthy Lunch
Avoiding candy is a no-brainer, but did you know that starchy snacks like potato chips and crackers are just as bad for your child’s teeth? Bacteria in plaque break down starches in the same way they do sugar, which can easily result in cavities. Instead of packing candy and granola bars, substitute them for healthier snacks like cubes of cheddar cheese, baby carrots, and celery sticks.
3. Take Them to Their Family Dentist
To kick the school year off right, schedule a cleaning with your child’s dentist. At their appointment, the dentist can treat your kid’s teeth with dental sealants and fluoride. These treatments are great for preventing cavities that might make your little one have to miss school. And it can save them from a lot of pain!
By following these dental care tips, you can make sure your child’s smile stays precious and healthy. For more advice on how to care for little teeth, ask your family dentist.
About the Author
Dr. Vince Fava earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of Toronto in 1995. He is a member of the Ontario Dental Association, the Canadian Dental Association, and the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario. He loves building relationships with children from their very first dental visit. To book your kid’s dental cleaning, click here or call +1 905-792-7163.